The 13 September 2008 Delhi bombings were a series of five synchronised bomb blasts that took place within a span of a few minutes on Saturday, 13 September 2008 at various locations in Delhi.
The multiple blasts left the country in shock and they left a major mark on the hearts of people in Delhi and India.
The entire national capital was under panic as the blasts took place with a difference of a few minutes in several places. It’s been 14 years but it’s still a traumatic tale as we look back at the horrifying incident.
Here is how the chain of horrifying incidents took place:
1. The first explosion took place at 18:07 IST in Ghaffar Market. Followed by other four blasts at various locations.
3. The incident marked the death of 20 people and almost 90 were injured. Also leaving many with immense trauma.
4. Only in an accurate time of 31 minutes from 18:07 to 18:38, the blasts took place in busy markets or commercial localities.
5. Another blast took place in an auto-rickshaw followed by two explosions in Connaught Place, one of the most famous and crowded places in south Delhi.
6. After the examination it was considered that a low-intensity ammonium nitrate tied to integrated circuits with timer devices had been used in almost all the serial blasts.
7. Four bombs were successfully defused from prime locations, including India Gate, Regal Cinema in Connaught Place, a third one also in Connaught Place and one on Parliament Street.
8. The Islamist’ Indian Mujahideen’ took the responsibility for the blasts by an e-mail to major media houses just after the blasts occurred. The mail was traced to be sent from Chembur, the suburbs of Mumbai.
9. Two people were detained on account of the blast. The Delhi Police arrested them within three hours of the blast. One was claimed to be the mastermind of the terrifying blast.
10. On 19th September 2008, the ‘Batla House Encounter’ took place where two people were shot.
Another bombing took place in the same year and month on 27th September 2008. It was an accurate difference of two weeks from the previous blast.
Antilia bomb scare: NCP says Param Bir Singh framed Anil Deshmukh on behest of BJP; MLA Ashish Shelar replies